Friday 11 April 2008

Clap Back on Mugabe Article

There have a number of comments and reactions to my article that was published in The New Vision and relayed on different websites like AllAfrica.com and The Shebeen. I have been accused of being insensitive to the suffering of the Zimbabwean people, just throwing the anti-imperialist bogey around like Mugabe or ZANU-PF does and even missing Idi Amin!

Yes, I was born during the 1970s when Idi Amin had completed two years in power but that does not mean that I necessarily support him and what was attributed to him. What I decry is the demonisation of certain African leaders when what they are doing does not rhyme with Western interests. That is a FACT!!! Do you know that Nelson Mandela who is now being feted all over the world was labelled a terrorist during the time he was fighting for the freedom of his people!!! Recent news reports have shown that he is still on this list.

The import of my article was that though we may want to see Mugabe out of power, is it the solution to Zimbabwe's problem? In addition, the Western countries that are poised to return to Zim with aid and investment will not benefit the people or help spread the benefits as we are made to believe. Consider a situation where these are kept out [as in continued stay of Mugabe and ZANU-PF] vis-a-vis a situation where the door for exploitation is flung wide open [a Tsvangirai win]; I'm saying the former is the lesser evil

If you look those comments on my article, they are just emotional outbursts and accusations. My question to them would be what is the solution to Zim's problems in the short-term, medium-term and long-term?

No comments: