Thursday 31 July 2008

T.O.S: Thrashed on Soundscan? Terminate(d) on Sight?

At the beginning of the month, I was excited about the release of a second album by the hip hop collective, G-Unit. Exactly a month later, I am very disappointed with its showing on the charts. As fans of hip hop, we have to keep in mind that sales figures have been lacklustre at best. However, with the runaway success of Lil Wayne [selling 1 million copies in one week], there was hope that the 50 Cent-helmed G-Unit would do a similar trip on the charts [Soundscan].

In this, I will focus on the performance of the releases from G Unit rivals: Lil Wayne and Nas. According to info on http://www.hiphopdx.com/, Lil Wayne has moved from #2 to #5, with total sales at 1,997,218. He is on threshold of going double platinum with Tha Carter III. After reigning supreme last week at #1 Nas' Untitled holds down the #8 spot this week selling 63,200 this week, bringing the total sold to 250,357. G-Unit sold 13,881copies of Terminate On Sight, earning them the #34 spot. With a combined sum of just 173,250 sold after a month [which is much less than Nas has chalked up in less time or Lil Wayne in a single week, the guys must be swallowing all that bravado and brag about them being 'killers on Soundscan'.

Young Buck who was kicked out of the group shortly before the release must be laughing at them. At least, he is still featured on a number of tracks; I will miss his flow.

This is very instructive for us especially when you feel on top of the game and start to diss your rivals whether it is in the corporate world, showbiz, commerce, politics...all kinds of spheres. Life has a funny way of making your words or actions come back to haunt you and your rivals, competitors or enemies being given a chance to taunt you.

As a fan of G-Unit, I feel the album is a good one though as good as Beg for Mercy. On T.O.S, 50 Cent takes a back seat and let his boys do their thing.

My verdict: I say this is mostly a Lloyd Banks, Tony Yayo and Young Buck album. Tracks I like [yeah, I have been playing it back and forth]: Straight Outta Southside, Rider Pt.2, Close to Me (my favourite), You So Tough, I Like The Way She Do It, No Days Off, Money Makes The World Go Round. Tracks that are ish-ish: Kitty Kat, Let It Go (ft. Mavado), Piano Man, Get Down, T.O.S, I Don't Want To Talk About It. Tracks that I didn't like: Casualties of War.

May be a review will be at www.theivorypost.com if I get myself to write. Otherwise, keep checking, there are other stories to read.

No comments: