Friday 25 July 2008

Something Good is Cooking: Africa Reading Challenge

This is to inform you who happen to pass by here that there is this very exciting 'challenge' [I don't consider it so, more like an initiative, good one], which seeks to encourage reading of literature about Africa, Africa related or written by Africans.

I came across this from a blog I read frequently and I am signing up, I am two books up with a third one in the bag. Please all ye who check this blog or subscribe to the feeds, the details below:

Participants commit to read - in the course of 2008 - six books that either were written by African writers, take place in Africa, or deal significantly with Africans and African issues. (Read more if you like!). You can read whatever you want, but of the six books, it is recommended that these from a mixture of genres. For example, you might select books from each of the following:
  • Fiction (novels, short stories, poetry, drama)
  • Memoir / autobiography
  • History and current events
Also recommended is reading books from at least 3 different countries. The challenge is for 2008, but if you feel like jumping in now: karibu sana! If you would like to participate, here are the steps:

When you read a book, write a review of it and post it on your blog. Write the post with a preliminary (or final) list of books to read for the challenge. The list can be partial for the start. Even if you don't have a blog, you can compile the list and take part, visit http://tukopamoja.wordpress.com/africa-reading-challenge/ for more details.

2 comments:

Darlkom said...

I have already read 4 books for the challenge and I am loving it.

Unknown said...

We are at par...I am yet to embark on my fourth book for this challenge. My problem is writing the reviews...I have so far written only one....the other I have to look for the others in notebooks and scraps of paper. Thanks for passing by.