Thursday 12 June 2008

Marching On and Looking Back

Today marks exactly 11 years since I wrote my last university exam paper. By this time [that I'm making this post], I was already three beers up celebrating the end of an era and hopeful that the future will be better. It marked the end of a phase of my life that I had enjoyed very much...

The time in between has been on the whole a learning curve...I have learned that life has its good peaks and bad (or terrible) valleys, along the way, those that I started out with have not lived to see this day. For just preserving me [if I may call it so], I am eternally grateful to the Almighty [many times I feel guilty that I am not that religious enough to return this favour].

Ironically, this date this year finds me again parting ways with Makerere University after working there for the past two years in the Public Relations Office. This has been a great learning opportunity and I thank all those who gave me the chance to handle PR for this great and complex institution. Many [friends, family, colleagues and generally people who know me] have asked why I decided to take this step. It is hard to give a "politically correct" answer [because this side of Planet Earth, people resign when going for other jobs]. Me, I did the 'unthinkable' by leaving before I got that soft cushion to land on. So, these days my answer is tailor-made to the person who asks me...but the truth is that I made this decision from my heart because I felt I needed to move and explore my potential elsewhere in a different realm...the thing is that I needed time to figure it out.

I have reached that point in my life where I ask my questions like why? and how? and what if? In this way, though I may be viewed as crazy, I discover myself and what kind of example and lessons I would be to my sons. I feel free and not afraid of the future...

Looking back, I see the peaks and valleys that mark the terrain of my adult life thus far [leaving University I believe marked this start]. These are the milestones

Graduation on 17 January 1998 [I could feel my happiness, I treasure the photo of me, Dad and Mum at the Main Gate even more since Dad passed on].

15 February 1998 [All I can say...hmmm....I realised how important condoms are...won't add much...thank you Elsie]

4 March 1998 [The day I started to work for an organisation that I feel has been my best work experience so far and where I learnt the skills that made me professionally. I thank Ms Michelle Jeanguyot for showing me the ropes. I was there for five years...so I not a fairweather employee, in case someone out there wants to hire].

the rest of 1998, 1999, 2000 were spent just like any bachelor boy would [I think you know what I mean...I thank those who share that experience with me...my friends, my gals, my colleagues and acquittances....and all those whose lives in one way or another intersected with mine]. I kept a journal which I won't share with the world but may be form the basis of my fiction based on true-life experiences that I intend to write in future.....all disclaimers are in order here.

September 2001 [that lunch time, I walked into a restaurant in Entebbe and met this then third-year student with whom I would later share a home with...but by then, I didn't know how it would play out...I thank Grace and Zaina for keeping me 'posted' and pushing me to keep in touch]

December 2002 [which marked the beginning of my relationship with Rosie]

19 September 2004 [when I and Rosie made that step...]

8 December 2004 [the first taste of fatherhood...the birth of Muhumuza, which means 'The Comforter']

28 December 2004-28 June 2006 [I can't this trying time that tempered me in many ways and gave a perspective on life and how we live it]

25 May 2005 [When Muhumuza fell very sick and we discovered that he had a genetic condition that he will fight each day of his life]

8 March 2006 [When my father died...it was a big blow...but now I have to adjust to it and instead appreciate the time he was with us...I want to live as long until I see my children grow into adults just like he was blessed to]

11 August 2007 [The day I met Cassidy...over time, she became a very good friend of mine. I feel she helped me discover a few more things and myself. I have spent long now without hearing from her....but the question is was she a reason, season or an eon

Those are the milestones that I can remember....no more confessions, I an marching on...c'est la vie.

1 comment:

ombui said...

Bro, life is basic and thank God for His care.

Every step taken, is filled with power from HIM. Some might be so stupid to human beings, but God will turn their minds by making you big.

Much loving to Rozie, Muhz and Cassidy.

We don't talk to POLICE!